Opioid Crisis and Pain Classifications
The rate of overdose deaths from opioids has risen over 165,000 since 1999.
Drug overdose deaths continue to increase in the United States.
- From 1999 to 2017, more than 700,000 people have died from a drug overdose.
- Around 68% of the more than 70,200 drug overdose deaths in 2017 involved an opioid.
- In 2017, the number of overdose deaths involving opioids (including prescription opioids and illegal opioids like heroin and illicitly manufactured fentanyl) was 6 times higher than in 1999.
- On average, 130 Americans die every day from an opioid overdose
About 100,000 patients have been hospitalized for gastrointestinal complications due to NSAID use.
Over-the-counter pain medications (NSAIDS – linked to heart problems)
- Aspirin has broad range of side effects – gastric ulcers to cerebral bleeding, H. pylori, even heart problems
- Ibuprofen has been linked to anemia, hypertension, DNA damage.
- Tylenol – leading cause of acute liver failure
Nociceptive – normal response to harmful stimuli or injury. Example – joint pain or referred pain from organ
Neuropathic – caused by lesion or disease in the somatosensory nervous system. Perceived as numbness, hypersensitivity, and paresthesia. Example – (not limited to) – diabetic neuropathy, spinal cord injury, phantom limb
Inflammatory – result of activation and sensitization of nociceptive pain by mediators released at a site of tissue inflammation. Example – appendicitis, RA, IBD, herpes zoster
Pain is a multidimensional phenomenon. It grabs your attention and produces strong emotional reactions that adversely affect a patient’s function, quality of life, emotional state, social and vocational status, and general well-being.
Along with chiropractic and acupuncture care, Naturopathic Medicine helps address pain and inflammation in a holistic way. The combination of all these therapies may help for a speedy, efficient, and natural recovery without resorting to conventional treatments.
Make an appointment with Dr. Humaira to get to the root cause of your pain and alleviate it naturally.